CELANESE CELANEX® PBT Flame Retardant
Celanese Celanex® PBT is a high-performance thermoplastic polyester produced from terephthalic acid or dimethyl terephthalate and 1.4-butanediol. This results in a PBT polyester polymer offering good mechanical and thermal properties as well as good electrical properties and chemical resistance. Celanex® PBT can perform over a broad range of temperatures and offers superior electrical properties which makes them very suitable for electrical and electronic applications requiring high dielectric resistance and low dielectric loss.
Flame retardant Celanex® PBT is available in a range of unfilled and glass reinforced grades that meet UL94 VO flammability requirements, are RoHS compliant and do not contain decaBDE. Non-halogen flame retardant grades are also available that offer high thermal stability, no corrosion of electrical contacts, and excellent UV and heat aging resistance.
Incorporating flame retardants into Celanex® PBT helps to improve the fire safety of products produced from this material. The flame retardants help to make parts produced from Celanex® FR PBT self-extinguishing, meaning that once a flame source is removed, the material will extinguish and not propagate the flame.
Some products used a brominated flame retardant, which is typically lower cost, while offering good mechanical properties, good processability, even in thin-walled parts, and good flammability and electrical properties. Other products use a non-halogenated flame retardant. Non-halogenated flame retardants, while typically more expensive, offer lower density, emit no toxic or corrosive gases during a fire, have excellent electrical properties and have better color stability.
Common applications for flame retardant Celanex® PBT include electrical connectors, switches, circuit breakers, sockets, transformers, terminal boards, bobbins and coils as well as components in Electric Vehicles.
No matter the application, there is a flame retardant Celanex® PBT product that can meet the requirements!
Typical properties of Flame Retardant Celanex® PBT include:
- High strength and stiffness for mechanically demanding applications
- Low creep to retain dimensions over time
- High temperature resistance
- Excellent dimensional stability
- Excellent resistance to many chemicals, solvents, oils and greases
- Excellent electrical properties for use in electrical and electronic applications
- UL94 VO flammability for electrical and electronic applications
- Easy processability by injection molding or extrusion
- High CTI and GWIT, environmentally friendly flame retardant, excellent flame retardant efficiency (for non-halogen grades)
- Easy colorability