Hostalloy® ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMW-PE) is a linear polyethylene with a much higher molecular weight than standard PE, which offers outstanding abrasion resistance, superior impact resistance, non-sticking and self-lubricating properties, and excellent mechanical characteristics, even in cryogenic conditions.
- Exceptionally high notched impact strength
- High energy absorption capacity at high stress rate
- Excellent wear-resistant properties
- Low coefficient of friction
- Very high chemical resistance to acids, alkalis and corrosive gases
- Highly resistant to environmental stress cracking
- Wide service temperature range from -200°C to 90°C
- Orthopedic implants
- Pressureless sintering
- Ram extrusion
- Compression molding
- Injection molding
As a polyethylene with a very high molecular weight, Hostalloy UHMW-PE is produced as a powder that requires special processing. In the semi-finished industry, the high pressures generated in compression molding and ram extrusion processes fuse the particles together. The material is then typically formed into stock shapes or profiles. It can also be processed by gelation and pressureless sintering.
Hostalloy UHMW-PE premium grades for orthopedic implants and standard grades meet the requirements of heath organizations, such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and European Union food-conformity. FDA Drug and Device Master Files are available for premium grades.