Zenite® is a brand of LCP liquid crystal polymer resin that is inherently flame resistant, UL94 V-0, and halogen-free without additives.
- Service temperature up to 240°C, short term up to 340°C
- Very close tolerances possible (to tolerance class T6)
- Very low heat of fusion (short cycle times possible)
- Flash-free injection molding
- Very high tensile strength (to 200 MPa) and tensile modulus (to 30,000 MPa)
- Very low coefficient of thermal expansion comparable with that of steel and ceramics
- Inherently flame-resistant (UL 94 V-0, some grades with 5 VA)
- Halogen-free without additives
- Very good resistance to chemicals and oxidation
These highly crystalline, thermotropic (melt-orienting) thermoplastics are distinguished from semicrystalline plastics by their special molecular structure, which consists of rigid, rod-like macromolecules that are ordered in the melt phase to form liquid crystal structures.
- Glass fiber reinforced
- Carbon fiber reinforced
- Fiber/filler modified
- Medical technology (MT®)
- Injection molding
LCPs have replaced stainless steel in medical applications with several grades compliant with USP Class VI guidelines and ISO 10993. They are resistant to gamma radiation, steam autoclaving and most chemical sterilization methods.